Frankston City is a local government area in Victoria about 40 kilometres south of the Melbourne CBD. Frankston has an area of 131 square kilometres.
The city is located on the eastern shores of Port Phillip, and is bounded on the north by the City of Kingston and the City of Greater Dandenong, on the east by the City of Casey, and on the south by the Shire of Mornington Peninsula. The boundaries of the City are defined largely on the north by Eel Race Road and Thompsons Road, on the east by the Dandenong-Hastings Road, and on the south by a complex boundary featuring Baxter-Tooradin Road, Golf Links Road and Humphries Road.
Despite its similar area and name, Frankston City is a different entity to the former City of Frankston which existed from 1966 until 1994, which was a continuation of the former Shire of Frankston and was abolished under the Kennett local government reforms.
The Frankston City population at the 2016 Census recorded a population of 134,143 and is forecast to grow to 152,494 by 2036.
Frankston Memorial Park (Frankston Cemetery) is located on the corner of Cranbourne Road and Moorooduc Highway (McMahons Road), Frankston. Land was set aside for a cemetery in Frankston in 1864-65. The first recorded burial was 1878, although there were almost certainly burials prior to this date before the keeping of records.
The Frankston City was created in 1994 out of the remains of three abolished councils — all but the suburb of Mount Eliza from the former City of Frankston; the suburbs of Carrum Downs, Langwarrin and Skye from the City of Cranbourne; and part of Carrum Downs from the City of Springvale.
The major part of the City was first incorporated in 1860 as the Mornington Roads District, which became a shire in 1871 and was renamed Shire of Frankston and Hastings in 1893, losing its western riding to form the Shire of Mornington, which has since been amalgamated into the Shire of Mornington Peninsula. On 19 October 1960, the Shire of Frankston and Hastings split in two, with the western part remaining as the Shire of Frankston, and the eastern part being incorporated as the Shire of Hastings.
Frankston was officially proclaimed as a City on 24 August 1966.
Frankston City is one of six Central Activates Areas (CAA) being developed by the State Government. It has attracted significant public funding for urban renewal, landscaping and community facilities with some major projects planned.
The median sales price for houses in Frankston in the last year was $596,500 based on 718 home sales. Compared to the same period five years ago, the median house sales price for houses increased 75.4% which equates to a compound annual growth rate of 11.9%. Median rent $370 per week.
Frankston is a modern city, fronting Port Phillip Bay. The commercial centre of Frankston incorporates the Bayside Shopping Centre and the Bayside Entertainment Centre that includes cinemas, eateries and fashion outlets. A short distance east is the Karingal Shopping Centre and Star Zone, an entertainment precinct featuring Village Cinemas, restaurants, indoor play centre, gym, TAB, hair and beauty stores and free parking
Frankston has a thriving arts and theatre scene with the popular Frankston Arts Centre and several galleries. A visit to the McClelland Sculpture Park & Gallery is a great experience.
The beaches around Frankston are mainly calm and sandy, perfect for swimming, boating and other water activities. To the south, the sandy beaches make way for rocky cliffs and headlands. Panoramic views can be enjoyed across Port Phillip Bay and north along the beachside suburbs from vantage points such as Olivers Hill.
The Frankston Waterfront precinct incorporates Frankston Pier, a visitor information centre, restaurant/cafe, a scenic boardwalk that extends to the boat ramp at the base of Olivers Hill to the south and crosses the Landmark Bridge to the north and ends at the Waves restaurant.
In the early 1850’s a small settlement of about 200 residents had grown in the cove at the foot of ‘Old Man Davey’s Hill’ (now known as Oliver’s Hill), and the mouth of Sweetwater Creek. These were mainly fishermen who lived in tents or humpies on the foreshore. As a result, the original pier was built at the base of Oliver’s Hill. The fish were transported to Melbourne either by boat from the pier or by horse and cart by using the road (and beach) down through Mordialloc.
In 1857 a short pier was built on the site of the present pier further to the north. In 1863, after a petition presented by local residents to the Public Works Department the pier was extended into deeper water.
In 1867, The Frankston Fish Company was established for the sole purpose of supplying fish to the Melbourne Fish Markets. Auction sales were held every morning at the Melbourne Markets. Horse drawn wagons left Frankston in the middle of the night, reaching the Melbourne Markets in time for the morning auction sales.
The Frankston Brick Company used the pier during the 1880’s for shipping bricks to Melbourne and receiving firewood for their brick kilns on the foreshore. Around this time a permanent lamp was built at the end of the pier and a “Lamp Lighter” was employed to keep the light burning at night during fine and foul weather.
According to local residents one of the most famous visitors to use the pier was Lord Brassey, later becoming the Governor of Victoria from 1895 – 1900, when he tied his yacht “Sunbeam” up to the pier during his around the world journey in 1876-77.
In the early 1920’s at the entrance to Frankston pier there was the “Fairy Garden” with a number of small pavilions along the beachfront. These were designed by the famous architect Walter Burley Griffin.
The first Australian Pan Pacific Scout Jamboree was held in Frankston from 27th December 1934 to 13th January 1935. This was the first international gathering of Scouts outside of the United Kingdom and the only Australian Jamboree attended by the founder of scouting, Lord Robert Baden-Powell.
Frankston is home to the largest stage in Victoria outside Melbourne’s CBD. Opened in 1995 by then Prime Minister, Paul Keating, the Frankston Arts Centre has an 800-seat theatre, two exhibition galleries and a 192-seat black box theatre.
Cruden Farm is a small piece of country set amid suburbia. It has been an icon of the Frankston region for decades, and has been well preserved so it will continue to be for years to come.
Frankston TV originally began as Australia’s first community driven YouTube network in 2011 and has evolved into a big success, with more than 250 videos uploaded. It was so successful, that it was turned into a weekly television show on Channel 31 on Sundays.
Every year the Norfolk pine tree outside Frankston’s civic centre is adorned with more than 4000 globes as families turn out for one of the great Christmas events on Frankston’s calendar.
Frankston beach took out the title in 2011 and 2012 for Victoria’s cleanest beach in the Keep Australia Beautiful Awards.
Fresh brewed coffee is a must have for weekends away and Frankston is a must visit destination with great coffee haunts around the town. Here are a few to check out when heading down to this seaside township.
4 Wells Street
Specialty coffee and jaffles.
Olive & Fern Cafe
435 Nepean Hwy
Situated under the Quest Hotel in Frankston. Excellent coffee with soy milk, lactose free milk, and almond milk alternatives.
The Milkman Cafe
8 Kananook Creek Blvd
Set in a picturesque location, The Milkman serves simple and delicious food made with locally sourced, fresh produce alongside coffee supplied by Code Black Coffee Roasters.
Ol’ Mate Coffee
465 Nepean Hwy
Organic, fair trade coffee and brekkie served in a laid-back cafe that supports social projects.
WHAT TO DO?
There’s always something to do in Frankston, with its family-friendly beaches, calendar of events, retail zone and cafes.
Head to the revitalised pier precinct for family fun, shop up a storm at Bayside Shopping Centre, enjoy an exhibition or show at the Frankston Arts Center, or take in the views from the lookout at Olivers Hill.